Reviving an old Tharu story with a modern twist
- December 27, 2018
Tharu is the fourth most-spoken language in Nepal but the representation of the community who speak it in Nepal’s mainstream art and theatre is regrettably scarce, says Pranab Akash, director of a new Tharu-language play called Karot.
Karot is just the second Tharu-language play being staged in Kathmandu; the first, Bhurbhura Rahar staged in 2015, was also directed by Akash.
“The play is universal in its theme and can be understood by non Tharu speakers as well. But with it I wanted to portray the changing socio-economic landscape of the Tharu community,” Akash says.
“With this play I tried to portray the socio-economic landscape of the modern Tharu community while also attempting to represent the community in Nepal’s theatrical scape,” says Akash.
The play was inspired by a real event as told to the director by his grandfather. “I have tried to give the traditional story a modern twist,” Akash adds.
“While the old story involved a plough, an invaluable equipment for Tharus, most of whose occupation is agriculture; the story I chose to tell involves gold.”
Karot, a Tharu word, literally translates as ‘to turn over’ in English. “If I were to name two main motives that I set my eyes at after the conception of this play, it’s to depict the Tharu community’s socio-economic overturn, for one, and to preserve and popularise the Tharu language and culture which is so dear to my heart,” Akash said.
Karot stars actors Indra Chaudhary, Deepak Pachhaldangya, Laxmi Chaudhary, Bhumika Chaudhary and Nirajbabu Chaudhary in the lead roles.
The one-hour long play is currently being staged at Sarwanam Theatre in Kalikasthan every day (except for Thursdays) at 5 pm and will be on until January 5, 2019.
- Wala Wala Lishyal by Jagat Lama Ghising & Jitu Lopchan || Purnima/Lakpa Lama
- “Haataarindai Bataasindai” magical voice and splendid music video by Sajjan Raj Vaidya
- Singer Sagun lama-2019 with his latest song ‘Maya jaal’.
- Shahas – Afno Ta Para Ni Farak Chha Ft. Pema Man Singh Tamang
- Timro Mayama by Nepal Idol season first contestant Buddha Lama’s new music video.
- Kimdol, in the foothills of Swayambhunath, an abode of hippie artists, musicians, poets and writers How. A used bookstore in Kathmandu’s Jhochhen captured the spirit of the hippie movement
- Ravi Oad has became the second Nepal idol
- NABIN K. BHATTARAI TO START MUSICAL TOUR
- Pragya Lama (Sano Hamro Ghar) a film by PmstNepal has been nominated in Epic Nepal Music Award 2075.
- Dayahang Rai’s “Appa” on 7th June 2019
- SAYA – SUMMER LOVE -Nepali Movie Song by Pushpan Pradhan and Banika Pradhan Ft. Ashish Piya and Rewati Chhetri
- Releasing on 15 March movie ‘Jani Najani’, had released the posters.
- “Aankushe Maya” – New Tamang Selo 2018 By Raju Lama & Jitu Lopchan.
- Musical legends Sanjay Shrestha, Babin Pradhan, Sachin Rauniyar and Bhim Tuladhar are together with “A MANCHHE”
- Priyanka Chopra’s Pahuna The Little Visitors – Releasing in Nepal